As you may know, Blue Apron is another one of those Subscription Meal Service, like Hello Fresh.
My Friend Rebecca sent me a coupon so I could try the service for a week, so I did.
When you log onto the site, The menu for the week is already made up. If you don't like the menu, you have 2 option. Purchase the alternative menu which is vegetarian, or skip that week and order the following week's meal instead.
This was my menu for the week I ordered.
Note: The top row was menu #1 and the bottom row was menu #2. You get 3 meals. This is an ALL or Nothing menu. You Can NOT mix and match meals from both menus.
This was back in July when I made the order and by that time we had been burger-ed out and there was NO WAY I wanted Squid Ink Spaghetti, so I opted for menu #2. Everything in menu #2 looked yummy (except the goat cheese sandwich, I planned to use my own cheese with that one).
So here's what I thought.
1. Well, my shipment came and guess what? They sent me the wrong meals. They sent me menu #1. I was so turned off at the thought of those meals (and the slight smell that came from the box) that I had a stomach ache all day and really was not looking forward to making any of the meals.
2. In my opinion, each meal was pretty time consuming. It doesn't look like it would be but there was a lot chopping involved and a lot of mixing spices that I wouldn't normally use. It took me over an hour to prepare each meal and I dirty more dishes than I normally would.
3. Each meal used garlic and my house smelled for days! I could even smell it in my garage. (I've never cooked with fresh garlic cloves before and now I know why)!
On the positive side......
|The lemon chicken with sauteed green beans and roasted potatoes and squash was amazing!|
4. The meals did end up being tasty. They were definitely restaurant quality. I did not end up making the squid ink spaghetti meal ( and I also discovered that the black pasta involved wasn't actually made from squid, but I still couldn't bring myself to taste it). The Lemon chicken was our favorite meal.
5. Unlike the Hello Fresh, The portions in our Blue Apron meals were generous! Having been a nutrition teacher, I am well aware of how much one portion actually is and there was definitely more than enough for two people. When we made the burgers, I actually got three good sized burgers out of the ground beef instead of two. Of course there were only 2 chicken breasts, but they were generous and there were more than enough sides.
I did let customer service be aware of the mix up in meals and they were great to work with. They couldn't send me the meals I actually ordered but they did let me pick out meals for another week. Those meals arrived this week ( the ones pictures above) and my opinion is still the same: Very time consuming, too much garlic, very generous portions, and restaurant quality meals.
Overall, I thought this service would be a convenience since I didn't have to go to the store all week. Now I would call it more of a luxury (not convenience), because you are getting great quality meals but it is very time consuming and the price per meal is pretty high at $10 per serving. Don't get me wrong, $20 for two people to eat a gourmet meal is not bad at all, but lets face it, we are eating at home and I still have to cook and clean up the dishes afterwards! Truly, I could probably make that same pasta on my own for less that $10 and probably get 6 or more servings.
It was a nice experience because for one it did introduce me to some new recipes, like the lemon chicken (I now know how to make that yummy sauce and will be making it again), but I don't think it was a time saver. But then again, it's all in what you want out of it. If you loathe going to the store but enjoy spending an hour or more in the kitchen, then maybe this will work for you!
Side note; when Scott says the blessing before dinner he says "Bless my wife the cook and the people at the Blue Box for the food...." I keep telling him it's Blue APRON, but hey, he sees it coming in a box, so its all good! -M
We are linking up with the gals from the Friday 5.