To tell ya the truth, I've never been a huge fan of Halloween. I don't like scary things, ugly things or being in the dark...lol.
I thought for this Friday Five I would share a few fun (or funny) memories I have about Halloween.
1. I'm going Waaaay back to kindergarten for this one. It wasn't a fun memory but looking back now it's kind of funny. On Halloween our teacher made us color a picture of a Witch face. In my mind when I see a witch, I think of the witch from Wizard of OZ, so for this reason I colored the witch face green (on purpose). I may have mixed two colors together to get green. ( This was 30 years ago so I don't remember why I did this. Perhaps we only had the three primary colors of crayons, I don't know..lol). Anyway, the next day when I got my paper back I got an unsatisfactory mark and a note that said "I know you can do better than this". I was very good at coloring so this note clearly upset me. I thought I was being clever by coloring the face green!
2. Our grandmother, we called her our Mammy (bless her heart) LOVED Halloween. She would dress up in costume (usually something ugly or scary) and come trick or treating at all the grandkid's houses. One year we had no idea who she was. Even my parent's didn't know it was her. Finally my sister pointed to her shoes and said "it's Mammy", I know because I recognize her white Reeboks.
3. My very first "real" race (meaning a timed non Disney race) was the Monster Mile. The race took place on the boardwalk. I remember being passed by all these little kids. I felt bad because I even had to stop and walk a bit half way through it..haha. I finish in 10 minutes flat. Afterwards we had to prepare for what was one of the largest Hurricanes on the East Coast.
4. One year I was at my parent's house for Halloween (cus we don't get trick or treaters at my house), A trick or treater with a Golden Retriever came to the door. The retriever was dressed as Sponge Bob Square pants. Her name was Felicity. Ten years later (which was this past Spring) I met a golden retriever at the park I run in and the owner told me her name was Felicity and she was about 11. I remembered the name Felicity and asked her if Felicity ever dressed up as Sponge Bob for Halloween and by golly she had. It was the same dog. It was nice to see Felicity was doing well.
5. The last Halloween-ish memory was when I ran the Wicked 10K (in VA Beach) for the first time. I dressed as a ghost and I PR-ed coming in at 58 something! I believe that was the last 10k I ever ran and that was over 3 years ago. I'm thinking I need to start finding some 10Ks!
Got any memories of your own to share? -M
An InLinkz Link-up