Thank you to Kim for suggesting this week's topic for the Friday Five.
I'm sure at some point over the years we've wrote a similar post about favorite races. However, I know that my list would not have been exactly the same as it is now because my #1 race is one I just ran this year for the first time.
1. NYC Half Marathon - This by far has been my favorite race ever! That means a lot coming from a Run Disney fan as myself! There is just something magical about running through NYC with thousands of others. I've been asked if I ever wanted to run this race again and I have mixed feelings about that. Everything just went So perfectly that I don't want to risk it by doing it again. Sure, I was so close to a PR and didn't even know it. Had I known, I probably could have pushed a little more and made it, but I don't care. Everything else was amazing!
2. Tinkerbell Half Marathon at Disneyland - I will admit this was this first ( and hopefully last) race I ever shed tears during because I was in so much pain. The run itself was not a good one but I put it as one of my favorites because of the experience. I spent this race weekend with my mom and sister and had a fabulous time at Disneyland before and after the race. I really liked this course through Anaheim and the Disney Parks. It could have been an easy course had I not been injured. I'd love to have a redemption run for this race, but honestly when it comes down to making that trek all the way across the country, Is probably pass.
3. Atlantic City April Fools race - This one made my list because I love that the entire course is on the boardwalk and I love that it is spent as a girls weekend in one of the glitzy resorts! Last year I missed this race due to trying out the Hershey 10k instead. Now I know I prefer the AC race!
4. Any Disney World race - There is something magical about any Disney race. I know many people who have never run one will stick their nose up at it. Yes they are expensive but they are worth every penny to experience at least once. The expo, the resorts, the photo ops, the start line, the finish line, it's all worth it. Since I've run all the Disney races at least once, I've backed off Disney for a while so I can use my vacation days for other experiences.
5. Harvest Festival 5k - I know some people won't get this, but sometimes it's not about the amazing scenery, the photo ops, or the fancy resorts. Sometimes what makes a race a favorite is the people you share it with. Our local Harvest Festival race is that race for me because local friends and family run it. It's so great to root each other on and have spectators on the course who know your name. The weekend is usually full of events ( and my Dad's birthday) and sometimes there are local fireworks later that night.
What reason would a race make your top 5? -M