I now have a new story on the topic Fitness Trends, that I'm going to share.
As you know, last year I gave up on a very popular Fitness Trend, those "Challenge" races. I've done a few challenge races during my time, and then in 2015 I ran the Goofy Challenge (The half marathon and full marathon), The Glass Slipper Challenge, and The Pixie Dust Challenge, all with in a few months. Needless to say I was exhausted! I'm not proving any points to myself by running this way and to tell you the truth I really don't need that "extra" medal.
Yesterday, I got an email that announced our local race series is now hosting a Fall Day 10K. Yay, I was super excited to have this added to the line up!
When I read closer, I noticed the Fall Day 10K is part of a Trifecta, meaning there is a 5K on Friday night, the Fall Day 10K, on Saturday, and then the Half Marathon on Sunday. Thus ending in another one of those "Challenge" races!
If you are new to this race series than you may think this is a good idea. I am not new to the series and I am quite upset because ......
1. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm done with "Challenge" races so now I have to pick and choose which one I want to run.
2. The 5K that is part of the Trifecta, is the Night time 5K that I planned to run this fall. I passed on running it last year because I was training for the Wine n Dine Half Marathon (I'm probably the only person who does not sign up to run races as part of a training run).
3. I was planning on running this Half marathon this fall with a friend by doing it as a relay. Now that it is part of the Trifecta, the relay is not an option.
4. Both the the Night time 5K and the Half marathon were always run on two different weekends in September. Now they are both moved to October to coincide with the Fall Day 10K.
5. So in essence, this race series has taken 3 fun races that I really wanted to run individually throughout the fall and now crammed them all into one weekend. Ugg!
There are a ton of races that happen in the fall so finding one on any given weekend really isn't going to be a problem, but I really like doing THIS particular race series because it is literally right down the road from my home.-M