Every year for the past six years my family and I have run one or all of the Disney Princess races held in February. Last year was the first year that we ran both the Goofy Challenge AND the Glass Slipper Challenge (and the Frozen 5k) with in weeks of each other. A few years before, my sister ran the marathon and then a few weeks later participated in the Princess weekend race.
Are these races fun? You bet. It's always difficult to choose one race weekend (Marathon weekend) over another (Princess weekend), so that's why we've done both. After the exhaustion I felt last year after doing both race weekends, I made a commitment that I wasn't going to continue to do both. So this year we are opting out of Princess weekend and I can honestly say I am not sad about it one bit.
We will still be visiting Disney World in February and having a little fun but we will not be participating in any races. It's a relaxing kind of trip!
Okay, so for those of you who are looking for a February race and aren't doing Princess at Disney either, perhaps you might want to look into one of these (for this year or in the future).
1. Phoenix Arizona- Marathon, Half marathon, or 10K - I hear this is a pretty flat and easy course. One fun fact about this race is that even the spectators can win prize money for motivating the runners!
2. Fort Lauderdale Florida - Marathon , Half marathon, 6k and 5k - This is Boston qualifying course. If you are visiting Florida (or live there), this may be a great alternative to running the Disney Princess race. I hear it doesn't sell out as fast.
3. Speaking of Alternative to Princess weekend. If you don't want to be a Princess you can be a Pirate. I 've already had several runner friends that have passed on the Disney Princess races to run the Gasparilla Races in Tampa, Florida. There is a variety of distances (including half marathon through 5k), and I hear the theming is great and the organization puts on a fantastic weekend for only half the price of Disney.
4. If you love donuts than perhaps the Krispy Kreme Challenge is for you! This is a 5 mile race held in North Carolina. The challenge is that you have to eat a dozen donuts while out on the course! That's right 12 donuts. I almost gag at the thought of ONE Krispy Kreme donut let alone 12 of them. Needless to say this is one race I will NOT be participating in, but it's in February and I'm sure some people would be up for the challenge so I included it.
5. With that being said, the only race I will be participating in is the Love 2 Run Virtual Run sponsored by Gone For a Run. I have been very lax about these virtual runs lately as I really didn't want to participate during marathon training. Now that the marathon is over I figured it would be a great way to do my first run after my post marathon rest. Afterall, it's only 2.14 miles! I actually did the 2.14 miles the other day with Baylee but I forgot to document it so I might just do it again. (I have till February 20th)
I got this cool medal in the mail last week. It seems silly that I am getting a medal for only doing 2.14 miles, but hey I guess it's motivation to get out there in the cold! It actually is magnetic and the top opens off just like a box of chocolates! I do have to say that I LOVE this shirt! I don't have a Valentines day theme running shirt so I was very excited to add this one to my collection!
And speaking of Valentines theme runs. We are sad to hear that the J &A Race For the Love of Running is no longer being put on. Those of you that are familiar with the J &A Races or the Virginia Beach area may remember that race. It was a 14K. It was pretty cold the year my sister ran it so maybe it has lost it's appeal to runner?
What is on your race calendar for February?