Friday, July 31, 2015
What we've gained through our blog
A lot of people start a blog to hold themselves accountable to their goals, whether it be weight loss, to train and complete their first race, or something else. To be honest, that is not why we started blogging. It's been several years now since we've started this blog and I don't really remember our official "why" we started the blog but I'm certain it came from a place of loving to write and sharing our stories/experiences with others.
Over the years, this blog turned into many things for us and some of that we would have never expected. Here is just a peek into a few things we never expected from our blog.......
1. We never expected that we would make friends through the blog. And when I say friends, I mean REAL LIFE friends. Not just virtual friends ( although our virtual friends are great too). I mean friends we talk to on the phone, friends we run with, friends we vacation with, and friends we exchange text messages with. Never in a million years did we think we would make a new friend with someone because they read our blog!
2. We never expected that our blog would turn into a timeline of our life. I have to admit that I've gone back through the blog more than once to relive a race recap or to see when the symptoms of my injury started, or to just see what we were doing a year or two years ago. I've never been one to keep a personal diary or journal, but I love reading back through old blog posts. I am so glad that I documented certain things, especially things about my injury. Those little tidbits that I would mention on the blog throughout the year have proved to be very helpful to me looking back.
3. We never would have expected to have all the experiences we've had because of writing this blog. We've been invited to VIP events with Run Disney, Runner's World, and Competitor (AKA Rock n Roll). Again, through these events we have met even more runners and bloggers and got to participate in things that we probably wouldn't have been invited to otherwise. For that we are grateful.
4. We never would have known about programs like Influenster, Sweatpink, Fitfluential, Smiley360, etc. We participate in these programs by having fun with campaigns and contests that they run. It's even nice that we get sent little packages every once in a while. I mean who doesn't like getting fun mail?
5. We would have never been so active on social media. Okay, I know that we aren't extremely active now, but before blogging we were non existent on Social Media. I barely had a facebook account, I didn't understand twitter and thought only the most narcissistic people used Instagram. Boy was I wrong! Still, neither one of us is very techy, but I GET IT! I like social media and Instagram has slowly become my favorite. If you want, you can follow me @fairytalesnfit and I'll follow back. Okay, I have to say that I am NOT going to fall into the whole Periscope thing. Don't we already have enough ways to follow people?
What have you un-expectedly gained from your blog? If you don't have a blog, have you gained something or learned something from reading other blogs?
Friday 5 where the theme is "Surprises".